I am a food tour guide in San Francisco, and yes, it is the best job in the world; that's why I have worked for Gourmet Walks (GW) since September 2012. GW is unlike any other food tour company. We are not only a tight-knit group of locals that showcase the best bites in SF, but we are also food anthropologists. On our tours we share the history and traditions of food cultures, and encourage people to try foods and flavors they have never experienced before.
Ahmet, the former General Manager, is now the CEO and Owner of Gourmet Walks. I'm so excited to have Ahmet leading the GW Team. Having worked for GW for nearly 6 years, he is really elevating Gourmet Walks to the next level. Gourmet Walks 2.0 will have the same rockstar team, but with more tours, more deals for guests, and new swag (you can find me rocking my new GW Patagonia fleece almost every day now).
To celebrate the change in ownership of Gourmet Walks, we do what we do best - eat!
For GW 2.0’s first team dinner, we ventured to Laurel Heights, a neighborhood just south of the Presidio and east of the Richmond District. I hardly ever visit this neighborhood, even though Geary Street boasts some of the best and most authentic tasting Asian cuisine in San Francisco.
Derm is a neighborhood Thai eatery in Laurel Heights. Recommended by local guide, Nicole, we went here and shared a number of appetizers, mains, and desserts. When you are many people's personal Yelp service, it's important to try a little bit of everything to give a comprehensive review.
The following list is the items we shared. I put a star (*) by my favorite items that I would try again.
- Por Pia Tod: Crispy Vegetable egg rolls
- *Som Tum: Original Thai green papaya salad
- Kao Pod Tod: Crispy fried beer battered sweet corn served with chili and cucumber, shallot, and crushed dipping peanut sauce
- **Sticky Rice
- Pad Thai: Pad Thai noodles with shrimp, tofu, sprouts, shallots, chives, and crushed roasted peanut
- Larb: Spicy Thai Salad of minced chicken, shallot, mint, "kao-kua", lime, and chili powder
- *Kang Kiew Wan Gai: Original Thai green curry with chicken, Thai eggplant, serrano pepper, and basil
- Panang Nuer: House special "Panang" curry with slow cooked beef chunks and kaffir lime leaves
- *Mango with Sticky Rice
- Fresh Young Coconut Cake: Housebaked signature young coconut cake with whipped cream.
Though we rarely have turnover in GW (nobody,myself included, wants to leave), we are always looking for amazing guides to add to our team. If you are interested in joining us, definitely reach out!